Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chaos at Tesco - An Introduction to Grocery Shopping in London

Tesco Clubcard

So after buying some food at the local convenience store the day I got in, I decided to do some actual grocery shopping last night after work. After leaving the office at around 6:30, I walked over to the local Tesco Metro (there are 3 different "flavors" of Tesco) to pick up some food for the week. I was greeted upon entering the store with a mass of humanity not witnessed by me since Lollapalooza '97. The store itself is a little larger than a 7-11. However there were at least 300 people in the store when I walked in. It became instantly clear that most people were not shopping at all. Instead they were navigating the aisles on auto-pilot, simply grabbing the items that they came in for. I imagine that the average person spent no more than 5 minutes inside the store. I on the other hand spent nearly 25 minutes trying to find the few items that I came in for. Some highlights of the experience included seeing the following:

1/2 an aisle dedicated to mayonnaise
Uncle Benz Chile con Carne - apparently he's branched out beyond rice
Various sorts of savory pies - most interesting = Steak & Kidney Suet Pudding

Yum.....

6 comments:

No name said...

Eu ouvi dizer que "Steak & Kidney Suet Pudding" é uma delícia. Essa guloseima deve ser parecida com a "morcilla" que o vovô insistia para você comer. Lembra?

Anonymous said...

sounds like an experience mom and i had in amsterdam. the store was quite large, though jammed packed with people (most of whom were just trying to stay out of the rain) and you needed to pay for grocery bags. no one seemed to purchase more than what they needed for only the following meal...all reasons i will always have a place in my heart for 24-hour wal-marts.

Malee said...

really...please don't try to be so convincing about the greatness of this grocery. i'm literally throwing out my orange and trading it in for mayonnaise.

on a different note--i was enjoying one of my last wine and cheese presentations this evening (Spinneyback leather)and this co-worker of mine that grew up in London started talking to me in his "most appropriate" London accent and I didn't have a clue what he was saying. something about "openen' uh a doh en geh en a cab" sweet!

Anonymous said...

no mention of toothpaste or other dental hygiene products on your trip...interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flip,

What no Costco? That is going to be a tough year with no Kirkland anything. I will get a hot dog, baby wipes and some tires for you. It sounds like a totally different culture. I'll ask Melissa if she knows of any good grocery stores or better ways for you.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

necessita di verificare:)